Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When offended poets push back.

I've been recently reading Mark Ribowsky's new book about The Supremes--which, of course, deals in part with the long fall from grace of Florence Ballard--pushed aside as lead singer in favor of the more "commercial" Diana Ross. Ms. Ballard, understandably disgruntled, occasionally vented her anger towards Ms. Ross and Motown mastermind Berry Gordy. And, eventually, Gordy began to set Ms. Ballard up for firing.

Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago. A certain prominent poet in the community (considered a "good guy" by most local poets) was angered because I felt he was a poster child for some of the community's worst qualities i.e. solipsism, elitism, insensitivity to perceived inferiors, etc. As a result, I was banned from both his listserve and his venue.

During that period of banishment, he assembled a found poem from certain remarks I made on the listserve--which was his right. But then he took it to the next level.

In 2007, I hosted a reading at a now-closed venue in Tarzana. This made me eligible for inclusion in a Poetry Hosts anthology. I submitted a poem to the anthology. And so did the prominent poet. Guess which poem the prominent poet submitted?

Yes, THAT poem.

Obviously, the prominent poet hoped I'd come to the anthology reading, notice the poem in the book, make a scene and become permanently ostracized. I didn't make it to the reading, but I did see the poem--and I made my feelings known (without too much drama) to the prominent poet at a later date.

Since then, the prominent poet unbanned me (after a few more months) and there's a sort of truce going on.

But, having read certain portions of the Supremes book, I can't help but compare his behavior on that occasion with Berry Gordy at his worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment