Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kevin Smith vs. Amy Taubin (ex-VILLAGE VOICE film critic): when filmmakers and critics fall out of love.

Here's another examination of the grey areas that filmmakers and film critics occasionally dwell in together:
http://www.indiewire.com/article/amy_taubin_responds_to_smith_attack_he_doesnt_want_to_get_into_the_substanc/

Kevin Smith's specific quote:
I always considered film critic Amy Taubin a friend. I was pretty sure she considered me a friend as well, as she called me after the Village Voice let her go, asking if I could help her get a book deal. Over the years, Amy hasn’t always liked the films I made, but at least she never made up horse-shit in her reviews. However, in a Sundance 2011 piece she filed with Film Comment, she lost my respect by being as “careless and heavy-handed” at her job (in print) as she insisted I was at my job (in film) by suggesting nobody would’ve bought Red State.

The above reminds me of when Pauline Kael (the legendary NEW YORKER film critic) turned on Robert Altman after the first half of the 1970s.

At one point, Altman even showed Kael a rough cut of NASHVILLE so the latter could write about it--ensuring Altman would get his way regarding the film's three-hour theatrical running time.

That relationship ended a year later when Kael was underwhelmed by Altman's BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS (an underrated mashup of Western motifs and sharp-edged parody of Show Business).

And here's the blog entry from Kevin Smith mentioning Taubin in the midst of discussing the forthcoming theatrical/VOD distribution of RED STATE: http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=416

No comments:

Post a Comment