Thursday, January 19, 2012

Just how should a poetry publication rejection letter be written?

Excerpted from a rejection e-mail I received a few days ago (name of publication and editor omitted):
"We have read your submission with interest, but have decided not to publish these particular poems. We appreciate your efforts and wish you all the best in your writing and publishing endeavors."

For the most part, fair enough.  The poems I submitted were judged as not compatible with the poems accepted by the editor's poetry review.

I take a mild exception to the passage "we appreciate your efforts."

To me, it sounds a bit too academic--reducing the poems written and submitted to mere inadequate  scrawlings.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.  And I hope to have a few acceptances among the rejections this year.





No comments:

Post a Comment