Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Towel-snapping in the Poetry Locker Room.

Days ago, I posted a poem here called POEM FOR NATIONAL POETRY MONTH.

And I received this response from commenter "AG" who chooses to take the veil of anonymity (boldface provided by me):

How does this qualify as a poem? Just because you used enjambment? Buddy, use some figurative language, assonance, alliteration. Something. This is more of a rant.

I'm not sure how, you, the reader, might react if you heard this kind of comment at a workshop from either the leader or one of the other poets present.

As far as I'm concerned, once someone uses the word "buddy" to me, it means that the person is less interested in constructive advice (re what he/she thinks is a proper poem using poetic forms) than triumphally crashing a sledgehammer over my head as if I'm a steer in a slaughterhouse.

1 comment:

  1. "triumphally crashing a sledgehammer over my head as if I'm a steer in a slaughterhouse."

    WHO CLAIMS YOU DONT USE FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE? WHO?

    ReplyDelete