Friday, January 3, 2014

Some of my generation follow media groupthink on WOLF OF WALL STREET.

This morning, I awoke to KTLA Morning News reporting about the number of times the f-word is used in Martin Scorsese's THE WOLF OF WALL STREET.

And this kind of media chatter found its way to Texas, where a woman I went to high school with posted  the following to  Facebook:

"So "Wolf Of Wall Street" has broken the record for the number of times the 'F-bomb' is said in a movie.  506 times in 180 minutes.  Really?  I just don't get it.  Guess I won't be watching this one either."

One could say this is an example of someone who grew more socially conservative in middle-age.

I was tempted to respond to her Facebook post with:
Yes, there is a lot of profanity, drug use and sexual activity--plus one scene where a child is endangered by her father's behavior.  But it's a film about amoral/immoral people who made millions stealing money from hard-working people like yourself, and, like it or not, the behavior needs to be shown without censorship.

If I had done that, it's quite likely her reply would be:
"I don't want to hear that language!"
followed by blocking me from her Facebook feed forever.

And she would go on with the remaining hours of her day shielded from more unpleasantness and opposing ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment