Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Some heresy regarding the film PICNIC.

Joshua Logan’s adaptation of the William Inge play PICNIC will screen in early April at Hollywood’s Egyptian Theater (Netflix/American Cinematheque) with two people I like doing a Q and A afterwards.

But I can’t bring myself to see it again; once, two decades ago, at the pre-Tarantino Vista Theater was more than enough.

Overaged, miscast William Holden and the excruciating scene where Rosalind Russell loudly begs MARRY ME MARRY ME MARRY ME to Arthur O’Connell resonate in my memories like tornado warning sirens.

Mitigating factors are Kim Novak and young Susan Strasberg, plus the Kansas color cinematography of James Wong Howe.

But it doesn’t work for me as a definitive portrait of breaking away from small town narrowness.


No comments:

Post a Comment