Friday, June 10, 2011

New poem: WITHDRAWAL

I'm trying so hard to withdraw,
to untie the rubber tube
and wrench the syringe of cable news
from my veins.

Don't want to see the CNN Saturday anchor
smile every time she reads something 
off the prompter.

Don't want to see MSNBC hosts
named Lawrence and Ed
competing for who can get the most headlines
to fill the ratings void left 
when Keith Olbermann was unjustly fired.

Don't want to see Chris Matthews
saying things about Anthony Weiner
"sticking it out."

Don't want to see Anderson Cooper
being a puppet of his writers and producers.

Don't want to see Fox News
unless I'm in a doctor's waiting room
where I have no choice.
And, even then, I want a magazine
to keep me from being irradiated
by Republican talking points
and facts twisted like Silly Putty.

Don't want to watch HLN
and hear Nancy Grace
snarl about Lady Justice.
Or, for that matter, 
Doctor Drew and his endless quest
to present himself
as a sober-minded moralistic ambulance chaser.

I just want to tear out the needle
and the syringe
and throw them across the room

hearing the breaking glass of the syringe
and pronouncing myself
cured of propaganda and endless distraction
from the news that really matters.

1 comment: