Tuesday, June 24, 2014

John Waters explains why there are no more John Waters movies.

The  eternally subversive filmmaker/essayist/author in an excerpt from an INDIEWIRE interview with  Nigel M. Smith:
Smith: In the best that could happen portion, a fan loans you five million dollars to make a new film. Is money what's holding you back from following up "A Dirty Shame"?
 
Waters: Yes. It's not just me. David Lynch hasn’t made a film in years.
They all want it to cost under a million dollars and I’m not doing that. I can’t do that anymore. I can’t go backwards. I don’t want to be a faux underground filmmaker. I have no desire to do that. I like writing books just as much as making movies. They pay better these days. It’s not so different from a movie. You got the character, you have the plot. The difference is you don’t have to worry about how much it’s going to cost. And you can sell it to the movies [laughs].

The full interview, where Waters discusses his new book CARSICK, can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment