Friday, July 26, 2019

New Poem: HEAR THE POP (1970) VERSION TWO


HEAR THE POP (1970) VERSION TWO

this is a story of someone I knew
who wanted to make easy money
by delivering a box of marijuana
but the police saw him,
told him to stop,
fired a pistol shot near where he stood
> 
there was the arrest, the bailout, the trial date
could hear him crying very loud one night
because there was a lot of pressure on him
to cut his hair short to impress the judge
because long hair meant "hippie"
and "hippie" was defined as a threat
to prevailing notions of social order
> 
apparently he was viewed favorably
by the judge in the county seat courthouse
and the sentence was probation
> 
here’s the kicker:
I first found out about my brother’s dilemma
from a fifth-grade classmate
because my parents wanted to erect a shield
between 10-year-old me
and 19-year-old him
> 
this incident ensured I’d have a difficult time
growing to adulthood
because I was protected
as if I had a security detail
to keep me from becoming my brother
and I didn’t become my brother
spending on/off periods of his life
preferring to get and stay high to cope—
instead, I learned to be shy and suspicious
giving in to keep the peace
spending quiet time imagining
an extroverted life
with an abundance of friends
something I couldn’t have
because my parents were afraid that,
left to my own devices,
I’d make the wrong decisions
and wind up on a country road
with a small town police officer
yelling put down that box of dope
and threatening to shoot
if I didn't raise my hands 

No comments:

Post a Comment