Sunday, November 10, 2019

Revised Poem: WRITING STAR 2019


I don’t want to go to parties.
I don’t want to drink so much
that I have to pull my car over
and vomit at least twice on my way home

I don’t want to approach Famous Authors-
only to have them ask me who I am
and leave me cold and unappreciated
as they search for someone more Important

I don’t want to be a Writing Star

I don’t feel like stressing out
and having acid reflux
over whether or not
I’ve been properly reverent
to Important local poets

I don’t feel like telling someone 
their work won’t amount to much
unless it’s published by a Real Publisher

I don't want to be regarded as a bad person
if I don't attend a memorial for a poet
who told me my death couldn't come soon enough

I don't want to be the kind of Writing Star he was

Pull the ripcord
Keep out of sight
Read a few good poetry books
Give away the ones I once thought I had to have
To make nice with people who didn't care

Be content with supporting others from afar
Cured of the egomaniacal disease caused by
Wanting to be a Writing Star

No comments:

Post a Comment