Sunday, May 24, 2020

New Poem: TIME FOR A ROUND OF GOLF

Well, what do you expect me to do
When I’m kept in the White House
Most of the time except to go on
Field trips to factories where I
Don’t wear a mask unless I
Absolutely have to make a CEO happy
>
Golf relieves stress and enables me to
Pretend there’s no virus and I can
Shake hands with other players
Always aware of telephoto lenses
Watching me hit the greatest drive ever
>
Yes, I used to criticize Obama for playing golf
But that was just politics with a side of
Dog-whistle racism to make me look
Better by comparison—to make people
Think I’d actually be a strong, decisive
President with little time for recreational
Activities once elected to the office
I actually believed Hillary would win
>
What else do you want of me
I said Deborah could do the Sunday shows
In effect saying the dog ate the homework
But we’ll turn it in on time before the
Second Wave when I’ll refuse to lockdown
And punt it back to the states once again
>
The flags were at half-staff all weekend
As the failing New York Times remembered
Some of the dead as I stay at my Country Club
Behind the fence where I don’t have to
Answer for six-figure deaths which are
Just a big regrettable number as I plan
A re-election I probably won’t win
But I’ll make sure when I do my
Outdoor rallies of the dwindling faithful
To divide and inflict  pain on you
That I’ll never ever feel myself

No comments:

Post a Comment