Sunday, October 9, 2022

New Poem: WENT TO SEE THE POETRY BULLY

 went to see the poetry bully at the anthology reading

 not necessarily to see him but a few others on the bill

 as have we all, he has aged a bit

 now he looks like a backup musician for The Black Keys

 instead of the vibrant slam artist/tastemaker of yore

 I still remember him cybercalling me witless friendless talentless turd

 because I took issue with his basement literary circle jerk

 intended only for him and his coterie of special friends

 >

 so he read his contribution to the poetry anthology

 some write bloody nonsense about him with a woman

 I looked in vain for the bookstore cat

 figured out he might be in the upstairs office

 so his feline responses wouldn’t throw the poetry bully off-stride

>

 listened to the poets after bullyman—most were better

 but I recall the rifle butt to my self esteem

 oh I tore the powerful bully’s tissue paper feelings 

 and he never even met me (or, likely, bothered with my poems)

 just decided to give the stink eye 

 to fall in line with others who needed him

 but I persevere decades later

>

 don’t want him ever again being the arbiter of me

 damn sure don’t want him at my funeral 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment