Monday, July 16, 2007

My mother's health.

A week ago, my mother was found immobile in the living room chair in her vacation home in New Mexico.  She was thought to have had a stroke, but tests at the Holy Cross Hospital in Taos proved a brain aneurysm existed instead.

Last Wednesday, my mother was operated on at the University of New Mexico hospital in Albuquerque.  The aneurysm had burst, but a clamp was placed on the portion of the brain controlling the speech and swallowing functions.

Thank goodness she survived the operation and later today (Monday), she'll have a tracheotomy (sp?) so she can again breathe on her own.  She can move her legs, shake her head yes and no when asked questions and has visually expressed her dismay with being confined to a hospital bed.

I've been in Albuquerque much of last week.  I'm now back in Canoga Park and will return to New Mexico on Thursday (my older brother is staying there until I return).  Thanks to all the people (family and friends) who have sent my mother their best wishes and prayers.  And thanks to the doctors and nurses in the neurological wing of UNM Hospital.

Regular blog entries will resume later this week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment